How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10277
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have circa 26,000 left to pay on a mortgage on residential

Resolved Question:

I have circa 26,000 left to pay on a mortgage on residential flat in Edinburgh. I am 63, divorced and have 1 daughter - who is resident in the property.
I want to find a way whereby I transfer the property to my daughter, but at the same time have right to residence until I die.
Is there a solution to this? Would it involve taxes, if so how much?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
You can transfer the property to your daughter but retain a liferent to yourself. A liferent means that you have the right to occupy the property for life.
There are no capital gains tax implications as your daughter stays in the property already. If you survive seven years from the transfer there are no inheritance tax issues either, even assuming your estate is worth over £335000.
The one issue is the mortgage. If you ar not going to pay this off at the time of the transfer, your daughter should ideally get a mortgage of her own to repay your mortgage. However, if she doesn't, the security by you in favour of the lender will remain on record until repayment is made in full.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for this - most useful.

Concerning the liferent, does the rent need to be set at a "reasonable market price" or can me and my daughter contract to a symbolic or peppercorn rent, say 50 pounds a month?

I notice your disclaimer - and I understand it, legal advice only, no lawyer-client relationship.

But, could our relationship become lawyer-client, for the purposes of drawing up the liferent contact - or do I need to seek a solicitor on my own.

Do I need to speak to a solicitor - or do I simply need to go to my lender, Clydesdale bank, and ask them to arrange the transfer?

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
A liferent interest in a property means that you stay there rent free. It is a heritable liferent, not a tenancy.
You are called the liferenter and your daughter is called the fiar, pronounced FEE-ER.
Experts of JustAnswer cannot take on customers as their private clients. It's against the site rules but you will have to instruct a solicitor. This is not something that your lender will deal with. It is a conveyancing issue.
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10277
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions