31090051

How can I check I copyright a catchphrase and make sure no

How can I check I copyright a catchphrase and make sure no one else has it already?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
There's no copyright register. Copyright exists by law the second a work is complete.
You can prove you owned a work on a particular date by sealing it and posting it to you or someone else and leaving it sealed in its envelope.
Unfortunately there's no register to compare a similar work.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But how can I protect it?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 it is automatically protected. Unlike a patent or a trademark there is no procedure to register copyright. You only have to take steps to protect your copyright if someone breaches it by copying it.If you really want to register something there are private companies who are happy to take your money to place your work on their register. However, there is no law which requires you to do so. https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk