Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

The implications of notifying someone of CCTV security

The implications of notifying someone of CCTV security vulnerabilities. Without prior consent of the testing taking place, In short I have come across 170 business in London that have insecure CCTV that anyone can get into and disable. I am not looking to make any money from it or charge them, Just looking to notify them of the vulnerabilities.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
If you have identified an issue with a CCTV system and service that you have observed lawfully from a public place then conceptually there is no issue with telling the company concerned about this in an unsolicited letter.
Personally however I would not bother doing this simply because if shortly after (and coincidentally) you notify of them of the issue, someone breaks into their property, you will be the first they ask questions of. If you are going to consider doing this I would at the very least request a contingency fee, if you can effectively demonstrate the issue.
AJ