12826847

I was at a wedding recently where the best man referred to

Customer Question

I was at a wedding recently where the best man referred to the grooms
time at university 34 years ago where he mentioned that most of the students found field studies boring and often made the results up. A colleague said this amounted to slander not to the groom but to the other students. I disagree because it would be hard to identify them. Please settle this discussion for us
Please don't worry. They cannot be identified and so there is no damage to reputation.
In any event, it is not really a comment that would reduce any person who was the subject of it in the minds of most reasonable people. You would not stop being friends with a person or deny them employment or housing because they found studies boring and invented results thirty four years ago.
For defamation you need to show that an identifiable person is affected by the comment and it is such to cause serious damage to their reputation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thankyou
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/