Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Has my son any right to see his fathers will, his step-mother

Has my son any right to see his fathers will, his step-mother will not let him see it. His father passed away 3 years ago and she scattered his ashes without letting my son know.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please let me know if your Son was a residuary beneficiary of the Will?

(ie entitled to a percentage of the Estate)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He doesn't know as his step-mother will not let him see the will, she said that his father left everything to her and its none of his business.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, if she is telling the truth, your Son is not entitled to see a copy of the Will, as only beneficiaries are entitled to see it.

However, provided Probate was granted (Probate is required to be obtained by the Executor of the Will if there is more than £5,000 in the Estate), the Will becomes a public document, and any member of the public can apply for a copy from Leeds Probate Registry. Here is the link-

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

If Probate was never obtained, I'm afraid the Will remains a private document.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position to you.

Kind Regards

Al