Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My father passed away in December and although i have contact

my father passed away in December and although i have contact with my stepmother she has never mentioned anything about my fathers will. i know he has one as he would mention it often. Im aware that the estate and money will be passed to her but i just want to know if he personally mentioned me . He also would always say to me what little bits were for each of his grandchildren. I don't want to ask my stepmother as she hasn't involved or asked my advise in anything to do with my dads death . Really just want to know if I was important enough to be named in the will.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Only beneficiaries of a Will are entitled to see a copy of it.

However, provided Probate was granted (Probate is required to be obtained by the Executor of the Will if there is more than £5,000 in the Estate), the Will becomes a public document, and any member of the public can apply for a copy from Leeds Probate Registry. Depending on how complex the Will is, Probate is normally obtained within 6 months from the date of death. I therefore suggest that you read the following link which will enable you to apply for a search to see if Probate has been granted, and if so, you can apply for a copy of the Will -

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

If Probate was never obtained, I'm afraid the Will remains a private document, and unless your stepmother is willing to let you see a copy, ther eis no legal way of you obtaining a copy.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position to you.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your reply, just to clarify what your saying if my name is ***** ***** will at some point i will be notified.

Hi Lesley,

If you are a beneficiary of the Will, the Executor (who is probably your stepmother) is under a duty to notify you of what you stand to benefit from the Will.

Unfortunately there are no strict time limits in which this needs to be done, but it would be good practice to receive such notice within 3-6 months from the date of death. You should really, therefore, already have been notified.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Al