UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Friend from Malaysia overstayed visa, been held at Bedford

Friend from Malaysia overstayed visa, been held at Bedford for flight back, what chances for getting bail into my custody till flight back
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Unfortunately, the chances of them getting bail are very low, this is because your friend has now been detained as an overstayer and the home office also have his passport.
If your friend is going to be put on a flight within the next 2 -3 the bail is unlikely to be granted. This is because by the time the bail hearing date comes around, your friend would be only a few days away from being returned to his home country, and the judge is unlikely to grant your friend bail only for him to return back home a few days later.
The only reason a judge would allow bail to your friend would be if he/she was held in detention for a long period of time without any action being taken to deport them, these would be the only grounds for granting them bail, if this is not the case then bail will not be granted to them and it is better for them to simply wait for them to be deported.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.