Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

If I make a will in u.k. and includes estate in the isle of

Customer Question

if I make a will in u.k. and includes estate in the isle of man, would it be legal?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I ask if you are domiciled in the UK please or elsewhere?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am domiciled in the u.k.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks. on that basis, if you make a will in the UK, it will be valid in respect of your worldwide property unless there is an express provision in your will that limits the will to property within a certain jurisdiction. It is very common for individuals that have assets in more than one jurisdiction to make more than one will because often it can be more tax efficient for a local will to be made in the jurisdiction where foreign assets are located though by no means always. If you are advised by a local Isle of Man lawyer that it would be more tax efficient for you to consider making a local will in the Isle of Man then it would be important for you to include a provision in your English will that that will only affects your property excluding any property owned in the Isle of Man so that the will does not override any will you make in the Isle of Man.Similarly, if you decide to make a well in the Isle of Man as well, it is important to include a provision that the will only affects your property in the Isle of Man.If you decide only to make one single will as you suggest, the position is however as above which is that in the absence of any clause to the contrary, your will will affect your worldwide property that you may own at the time you make the will and any property you may acquire in the future.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
I hope the above is helpful? Can I help you with anything else or has the above answered your questions satisfactorily? If you could drop me a quick message to let me know I'd be very grateful.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Have I been able to help you with all your questions on the above?