UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My father in law is terminally I'll and has been given only

Customer Question

My father in law is terminally I'll and has been given only a few months left to live. He is currently renting a property and the tenancy is soon to end. The landlord has refused to extend the tenancy However, doctors have stated they believe my father in law is too ill to move house. Is there any way the landlord can be forced to extend the rental agreement so my father in law doesn't need to move.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello,The landlord cannot evict your father in law without a court order granting him possession of the property. Your father in law may oppose any application made by the landlord to the court to grant him possession, all in all, a process which may take several months.Your father in law does not need to move out when the current tenancy ends, he should continue living in the property and paying rent as previously done.The landlord cannot be forced to renew the tenancy but the tenancy continues as a periodic tenancy by law if it ends and your father in law continues living at the property and paying rent as before. May I help further?