Madam I recently purchased a log cabin from a garden

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam
I recently purchased a log cabin from a garden centre. The measurements stated on the brochure were 14ftx8ft, which I took to be internal measurements. On completion the internal measurements are 12ft 8inches x 6ft 9inches.This is a very brief description of the facts, but I feel I have been misled under the Trade Description Act. I have written twice to the Director of the garden centre with no response.
I recently sent a full report to the Citizens Advice Bureau who have been unable to respond because this is not an energy supply or postal services issue.
I would welcome your comments please. My e-mail address is:***@******.***
Yours faithfully
Neville Adams
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Why did you believe that the measurements stated in the trade brochure referred to internal measurements and not external measurements? What is your query please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In my experience building measurements are internal. This is certainly the case with houses so that it is possible to make sure that the space you see is suitable for the use it is to be put to, i.e. furniture/movement. I followed the same principle, planning out the area as a craft room.

My contractor also designed the base using the measurements that were advertised in the brochure.

There is no reason why the seller did not ensure that such confusion did not arise by making it clear that measurents were external. The garden centre is major one in Taunton. Interestingly I was warned verbally to be careful if I proceeded to complain.

What would you like to know please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm rather confused as the e-mail appears to request further information, presumably following my last response to you. You said Thank you.

followed by 'What do you want to know?'

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
We need to know what is your question about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My question is that under the Sale of Goods Act I did not receive the log cabin that was advertised in the brochure. Also under the Trade Descriptions Act the information was misleading regarding the dimensions of the log cabin and the seller should have ensured that measurements whether internal or external should be made absolutely clear to the customer in order to avoid any confusion.

Tomorrow the contractor and I are going to measure both external and internal dimensions to ensure accuracy of my claim particularly as the overall size is in Imperial and the Floor Plan is in Metric. Also because of design exterior measurements are open to interpretation.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
So what is your questions about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to know what form of redress is open to me, in what form this should take and what my next step should be.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is 14ft by 8 ft the external measurements?