How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10585
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Good morning, I am in the final stages of selling my apartment

Resolved Question:

Good morning, I am in the final stages of selling my apartment with a one week deadline to exchange contracts to prevent the chain of 5 collapsing. I discovered, yesterda, from my local council, that my apartment block which was build 10 years ago hasn't been "signed off". I am at my wits end. Can this complication be easily remedied?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Do you know if your Buyer is having a Mortgage?

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes they have a mortgage in place

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.


Thanks for your reply.

Your Buyers Solicitor (who I assume is aware of this problem) are under a duty to disclose to the Mortgage Lender if planning permission or Building Regulations have not been granted for a property.

Therefore, to enable matters to proceed, you are going to have to ask the Building Control officer to come out to the property, to enable the Completion Certificate to be issued. They will be holding records of the initial Building Regulations approvals, so they shouldn't have too much problem in issuing the completion certificate. However, this may all take time and it will be touch and go whether they are able to inspect this week. All you can do is plead with them to see if someone can go out and inspect this week.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Good luck.


Aston Lawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.


Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards