UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My name is ***** ***** I am from India. My grandfather

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I am from India. My grandfather worked in Uk in the 1970's and had opened safe deposit / lockers. He died 3 years back and we found out about his safe deposits in London. While trying to gain access to them the company requires me to provide
This are the things which would be needed.
1. Grand Father Passport, if copy certified.
2. His death certificate
3. Your grandmother's Passport
4. Her letter of authority for you to access your grand father safe.
5. Letter from solicitor to confirm your identity.
6. Your Passport.
All the above documents have to be certified in UK by a reputed solicitor.
Until then they say they would be unable to process my request.
how can i get a UK based solicitor to certify these documents as my grandmother and all documents are currently in Mumbai, India,
My Grandmother cannot travel. however i can get anything needed in writing / documentation from her to allow me to access the safe.
please help, if there are charges to certify i would be happy to discuss the same,
thanks
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You need to check whether India allows you to send passports overseas with a courier. If it does allow you to do so,,I would advise you to send all original documents including original passports to a UK solicitor who has agreed beforehand to assist you in certifying copies of the original documents.
You may search for a solicitor here on the Law Society website so that you can be sure that the solicitor is qualified: http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk
The other option is to send all the original documents and original passports directly to the safe deposit company as long as they have agreed to receive original documents and have agreed to return back the original documents to you.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i can find some good UK certified solicitors in india, would that be enough ? i cannot send any original documents as indian laws don't allow passports to be sent outside by post.

Yes, a UK solicitor practising in India with a valid UK practising certificate should normally be enough but I would advise that you first check with the safe deposit company that they will accept this certification as in your original query you say that the documents should be certified in the UK.
Hope this helps. Please remember to leave feedback