13262538

My sister is in the middle 0f a marriage breakdown. her ex

Customer Question

my sister is in the middle 0f a marriage breakdown. her ex husband has given up the tenancy on their home. he gave her until the 1/05/2015 to take what she wanted out of the house. firstly he took EVERYTHING out apart from broken and damaged furniture,her clothes and junk that he didnt want. on my advice,my sister arranged an appointment with the landlord who told here that that she had until the 10th/05/2015 to remove her effects from the property. I personally informed her ex husband of this meeting and the fact that she had until the 10th to remove her clothes etc. He continued to rant that anything left after the first of this month would be disposed of as he will not pay storage fees.
I personally told him verbally and by email that her effects were not to be touched as she had until the 10th to remove them,and also that she was in hospital due to stress affecting her asthema.
When we went to collect her things on the 6th of may, we found that the house had been stripped and nothing remained inside. My next act was to call the landlord to find out what had happened and was told that her ex husband had been in touch to inform them that the house was cleaned and cleared out.
below is the letter I had sent to her ex husband both by email and hard copy :-
07/05/2015
Jeff.
The email below has been sent to Bromfield tonight. Their housing manager stated in my presence that she had up to and including the 10th of May to remove her effects from the property. we went to the house yesterday afternoon to remove the last of her property to find that the house had been cleared and emptied. I am informing you that I saw the two emails you sent to Lisa,which said that 'after the 1st of May,you would assume that anything remaining was not wanted' and that you would dispose of them because Bromford would charge you for handling them. BOTH OF THE EMAILS ARE IN MY CUSTODY. I have read your answers and they lead me to suspect that you are responsible for this.
I am giving you the same time frame as I have given Bromford. I expect her property returned to her at her parents' address in Monkmoor UNDAMAGED by the 15th   of May. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS WILL LEAD TO LEGAL ACTION.
YOU ALSO HAVE TAKEN A ROTARY DVD UNIT FROM CONDOVER WHICH IS MY PROPERTY. I EXPECT THAT RETURNED TOO.
YOU MAY KEEP THE RED KETTLE AND TOASTER WHICH ALSO BELONG TO ME.
Do NOT ignore this message. As you have ignored all contact from me, I have reported this issue to the police earlier this afternoon and they have advised me to give you one more chance. Any failure to produce Lisa's personal effects will be regarded as a criminal act and will be acted upon by the police.
DO NOT TRY TO CONTACT LISA IN ANY WAY OR THERE WILL BE LEGAL CONSEQUENCES TO YOURSELF.
A HARD COPY OF THIS EMAIL WILL BE POSTED TO YOUR MOTHER'S ADDRESS.
Jeremy Jones
2 The Fairways,Condover.
Keith Veecock,the housing manager for the property met Lisa Lawrence and I in Condover on the 24th of April. He stated that Lisa had up to and including the 10th of May to remove her effects from the house.THIS STATEMENT WAS WITNESSED BY ME . Lisa and I went to the house Yesterday (07/05/2015) to remove her property. We found that everything had been cleared and the house EMPTIED. Amongst her property were important and valuable family heirlooms. Considering that Lisa has been in hospital,added to the courtesy I am showing you by trusting that you will answer me within your window of 5 days, I would like to know what has happened to her effects and I expect them returned to her at the above address in Monkmoor undamaged before the 15th of this month. Failing that, this will be in the hands of my solicitor.
Regards ***** *****
so far her ex husband has refused contact with my sister,she is still suffering with stress. As you can see from the letter,it contains a subscript of the email which was sent to the landlord. Below is the answer i received from the landlord:
On 8 May 2015 10:47, "Keith Veecock" wrote:
Dear Mr.Jones,
Thank you for your email regarding the above. You are correct that at the time of my visit I confirmed to Mrs.Lawrence that the tenancy for the above address ends on May 10th and she until then to remove her possessions. I also stated that it was a matter for her and her husband to sort out the removal of those possessions.
We have since received correspondence from Mr.Lawrence confirming that the flat has been cleared so you need to contact him regarding this matter.
Keith Veecock
please could you inform my sister what legal rights she has,and what if any is her next step .
Regards,
Jeremy Jones
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How long have they lived together and are there any children involved?
What is the value of the items he has taken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

22 years no children

Value.

Approx £1000

Most of her clothes.

Family photos and a German clock which her grandmother gave her before she died.

The photos and close were priceless to her.

With regards ***** ***** unit I'm not that bothered.

One other thing. He has criminal convictions for theft and fraud which account to around £25000 or so.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
May I ask why your sister was giving up the tenancy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She walked away from the marriage because of the way he treated her over the years, his shoplifting.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - what I meant is why she is not remaining in her home given that he is leaving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She went to stay with her mum and dad temporarily. Her ex closed the tenancy without informing her (the house was a joint tenancy )hence giving her to the 1st of may. And despite the landlord saying that we had until the tenth of may to clear her effects. Her ex husband took it upon himself to clear everything out again without informing her.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Was it a private tenancy?
What income do they each have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes with Bromford.

He was on job seekers and also claiming for her. He was also claiming mobility and Housing benefit.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Has your sister been offered assistance in being rehoused?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is living with mum and dad for the moment. She is on Shropshire home point but otherwise no

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Do you think her ex still has her belongings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Considering he refuses all contact, and the only address we have for him is his mother's it's uncertain. She had family heirlooms in that house. Maybe not valuable to other people but priceless to her. With all respect he needs the biggest kick in the backside that the law allows

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately there is little chance of achieving that.
The police will not get involved as they will class it as a "domestic law" matter.
Family Law is sadly not helpful either.
Within the financial side of divorce proceedings she can ask the court to order the return of the goods - or for financial compensation
I am sorry - I wish I could say that there was more that could be done - but there is not
Please ask for further details