Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

If a Will states that a sum will be left to someone as a legacy

Customer Question

If a Will states that a sum will be left to someone as a legacy absolutely, what does the absolutely mean in this context?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

The American condition is more or less correct- if someone is left a sum of money "absolutely" it means that they are entitled to receive the sum as soon as the Estate is administered and is not conditional on them say reaching a certain age (eg upon reaching 18 or 21 years of age).

I hope this clarifies the position to you but please let me know if I can assist you any further.

Kind Regards

Al