Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

In 2012 we got a Deed of Severance drawn up by a Will Writer,

In 2012 we got a Deed of Severance drawn up by a Will Writer, we have done nothing with this Deed of Severance and want to know a) is it still valid and b) what should we do with it
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Was this document to sever your joint tenancy of your property? If so, did the Will writer register the Restriction at the Land Registry, to show you are both now holding the property as Tenants in common?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it was to sever the joint tenancy and no he did not register it with the land registry

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your reply.

Although the Deed is evidence that you both wish to hold the property as tenants in common, the appropriate application still needs to be made to the Land Registry, so that the title can be formally amended. You should therefore attend to this as soon as possible, as it does need to be done before you can be recognised as being Tenants in common.

Your Will writer therefore has only done half a job for you.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position, but please let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi Suzanne,

Can I assist you any further?

If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards

Al