Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

When I buy a second hand car by law should this come with a

when I buy a second hand car by law should this come with a 3month warranty
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was this a private purchase or via a dealership?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HAVE HAD THE CAR SINCE THE 1ST.OF APRIL THIS YEAR,TOOK MY OWN 12MTS WARRANTY OUT WITH ANOTHER COMPANY,THE CAR BROKE DOWN LAST WEEK CAN I CLAIM MY REPAIR/HIRED CAR BILL BACK FROM THE GARAGE WERE I BOUGHT THE CAR WITH OUT THEM SAY THIS THAT OR THE OTHER BY TRYING NOT TO PAY ME.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Have you already had the car repaired?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THE GARAGE THE CAR WAS TAKEN TO COULD AFTER HAVING IT FOR NEARLY A WEEK COULD FIND NO FAULT EVEN THOUGH THE AA DID FIND A FAULT,I HAD IN THE END PAY FOR DIAGEOSTIC COST £100 PLUS CARHIR OF £185 THIS MONEY SHOULD I FEEL BE PAYED BACK TO ME BY THE COMPANY WERE I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM,HAVE I GOT A CASE.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
But is there a fault, if so is this covered by your warrantee and now being repaired?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

LET ME GIVE YOU MORE INFO.ON THIS MATTER,AS I SAID THE GARAGE FOUND NO FAULT,THE WARRANTY WISE COMPANY I PAID 12MTHS FOR WOULD NOT PAY BECAUSE THERE WAS NO REPAIR DONE SO ANY PAYMENT WAS DOWN TO ME,ON DRIVING THE CAR BACK HOME NEARLY 200 MILES THE CAR BROKE DOWN AGAIN WITH THE SAME FAULT,ITS NOW IN ANOTHER GARAGE CLOSE TO HOME AND IAM WAITING TO HEAR FROM THEM,APART FROM WARRANTY WISE WERE DO I STAND WITH THE GARAGE WHO SOLD ME THIS CAR,THE CAR IS 4YRS OLD.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
You have rights under the Sale of Goods Act, if the car is not of satisfactory quality or is not fit for purpose then you can claim for your losses under the Act.
As you have had the car for such a short time you can reject the car, you can take the keys and vehicle back to the dealership and ask for your money back.
Alternatively you can claim for your losses in breach of contract under the Act.
If you want to bring a claim then you should write to the dealer quoting the ACT and asking them to refund the money within 7 days and say if they do not you will claim your money back.
You can do so using the following website https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE,NOW I NO WHAT TO DO,WILL WRITE TO THE GARAGE FIRST AND SEE WERE I GET WITH THEM IF I DONT WILL TAKE THE APPROPRIATE ACTION EITHER GET MY MONEY BACK OR GIVE THE VEHICLE BACK,WILL LET YOU NO HOW THINGS TURN OUT,THANKS AGAIN.***** *****.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
No problem Peter, all the best with it.
Please remember to rate my answer as it is an important part of the process and I am not otherwise credited for my time. Please do come back to me in the future if you need to.