Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I had a stable job 5 years, until a family

Hi, I had a stable job for about 5 years, until a family member told me to go to another great company managed by his friend and gave me all needed assurances that the move is a lifetime opportunity and the people therrre were great. After i moved to that company things went from bad to worst, they threatened to remove my visa sponsor if my brother didnt give them business etc... and I finally made my way out of there after 7 months, but I was left with big debt due to lawyer fees, slashed salary, and a lot of distress that was very difficult to overcome until now ( it's been a year). The person that introduced me to this company says he assumes the resposanbility of what happenened but declined to help me financially to cover the debt i accumulated, when I lost around 60K GBP year to  year due to the move but also i paid from my health, due to the great amounts of stress. Can i sue this person knowing it is my brother?

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Did you have the opportunity to check the company out before moving jobs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Jenny, I had checked with ym brother that supposedely dealt with them for years, that the CEO was a very good friend and a trustworthy person, I did all the checks, I also visited the offices a couple of times.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok it will be very difficult to claim against your brother in these circumstances.
Whenever a person leaves one job to attend another a risk is taken and sadly, it is not uncommon for it not to work out.
Unless you have been told lies or there is a breach of contract there is no claim you can bring against the employer, nor is it possible to bring a claim against your brother as he cannot be held responsible for the fact that it did not work out, especially given the fact you were able to do checks and visit the office before making the decision.
I am sorry that this is not the answer you wanted but it would be unfair of me to give you a false hope.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.