Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My wife has a disability I am her career my wife has just

My wife has a disability I am her career my wife has just come back to work from having epileptic seizures ,and has to see the nurse. She wants me to attend as she forgets things and gets muddled up .But was refused is she not entitled by law to take her career with her
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is this to see the employers Occupational Health nurse?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi it is my view that the employer should not refuse her request to attend with her. Normally they can refuse family members to disciplinary and other employment meetings but as your wife is likely to be deemed to have a disability for employment law purposes it would amount to a 'reasonable adjustment' for them to let you attend and also is in the interests of protecting her health and safety. It could therefore potentially amount to disability discrimination to fail to allow you to attend.
I suggest your wife raise a grievance stating that if you are not allowed to attend she considers this to amount to a failure to make reasonable adjustments. This should hopefully make the employer reconsider their position.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.