12826847

Dear Sirs, I have recently been doing some building work for

Customer Question

Dear Sirs, I have recently been doing some building work for a couple who I considered friends (at a highly reduced rate) and all through they have been telling me how pleased they are with the work, the clients husband has been working on the project with us and has given verbal instructions on what we needed to do. The project was at first for 3 weeks and we completed the set work on time and on budget, however since then they became more and more demanding and the client started to remove ceilings and plaster from all the rooms downstairs which we were not going to touch. we ended up re plastering the whole of the downstairs and many other jobs. This was all at the reduced rate and the clients were happy. on nearing the completion the clients stated they would decorate themselves and finish the project. after sacrificing my other work I gave them 2 more weeks in which they messaged me to day how happy they were, however when I said I could not return for two weeks they have decided that some of the work (in which the client worked on with me) is not up to scratch and have thrown me off site and had other trades in to look at the work, surprise surprise they say they that it needs rectifying.
They are now not letting me finish some of the work started even though I had booked myself and my employee in for a week to finish these tasks.
I have now received an email stating that they want me to cover the costs of another trade to go in and in there words put right.
Where do I stand regarding this situation?
they still have an outstanding invoice of £385.50 which they are refusing to pay.
Many thanks tom
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is there any truth in their complaint?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, and I have been honest and forthcoming throughout the project. their main gripe is that we did not replace the door frames in the original studwork as it wasn't nessesary due to mass produced doors already fitted and there budget restraints. they now say new doors cant be fitted, however modern doors were already fitted when we arrived so fitting new doors shouldn't be a problem. I have photographic evidence

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Were new doors included in the original quote?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No just boarding areas and re plastering

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The fact that you did this job for friends and is cheaper rate is a nonissue. Whatever price was agreed you are still under a juicy to comply with the legislation governing the supply of goods and services. The law of contract applies to this deal as to any other.
However, the law of contract also assist you and you are not under a duty to do anything more than was originally agreed. It would appear here that they are asking you to do work that was not a great and you are perfectly entitled to refuse.
They cannot just refuse to let you complete. There are circumstances where that can be done but they have to show that they have no faith in your capacity to complete in a proper way and there is no evidence of that.
That said, if they refuse to pay then your only option is to sue. There is no other way of forcing them to pay and you take the risk that they may counterclaim. However, on these facts it is probably a risk were running because you are likely to succeed.