12826847

My mother is a leaseholder of a two bedroom flat. She is currently

Customer Question

My mother is a leaseholder of a two bedroom flat. She is currently living in a care home and the property is rented. Her income is taken to pay towards her care. She has just received a 9000 pound bill for major works from the council. She has no money to pay the bill and mentally unable to get the money added to her mortgage. Nobody has power of attorney. What can the council do and is there anything I (her son) can do?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I ask if the council have served something called a s20 notice well in advance of the work notifying of the requirement for the works and asking to consult on the propsed costs and then further notices proposing tenders and then a final notice advising of the contractor that was employed?
Have the works been carried out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They may have done so, but up until recently they would not discuss my mothers business with me. Last month I managed to get a third party form signed and that's when I found out about the cost.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Who has been dealing with the rental of the property? Have social services been handling this?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Would you like to continue with the above?