Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I recently phoned a taxi on behalf of someone else (who I don't

I recently phoned a taxi on behalf of someone else (who I don't know) however they failed to pay the taxi and absconded. The taxi company made a complaint to the police and gave them my number. The police came to see me. I told them I wasn't in the taxi and I don't know who was - which I don't . I didn't tell then I made the call as they did not ask me this and the circumstances are a bit embarrassing!
I did not take the taxi and did not leave the taxi without paying. Can I be arrested and charged?
Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

For the avoidance of doubt, may I confirm you did not agree to be responsible for the taxi charges when you place the call please - I would assume not given what you say and it would be unusual to do so anyway unless you had an account with the taxi company.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not agree with the taxi company to pay when I booked the taxi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not agree with the Taxi company to pay for the fare when I placed the call

Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. On this basis I cannot see that any criminal charges are likely at all and even less so that any criminal charges would be successful. In order to successfully bring a criminal charge against you, it will be necessary to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that you with a person that got into the taxi and then made off without paying. Most taxes these days maintain CCTV within the cabin and it is therefore likely that they will have video evidence of the individual concerned. They would need to show evidence such as this together with statements of the tax driver to bring a successful prosecution against you.clearly from what you say, you had no part in the ride in the taxi itself and liability both for the debt and in respect of any criminal charges would lie with the individual that entered the taxi and made off without paying.A very high standard of proof is required to prosecute someone for a criminal charge-as above it is required to show beyond reasonable doubt. This can be difficult even when someone is guilty of an offence but in this case, I cannot see any basis upon which they would have sufficient evidence to charge you. All they have is your phone number being used to book the taxi. This is not nearly sufficient. my suspicion would be that if the police have decided to investigate further that they will be asking the taxi company to provide CCTV of the incident so that they can attempt to identify the passenger concerned. In some cases the police would not take the matter further given the likely amount of the debt in question but that is a matter for the police.I cannot see there is any need for undue worry based on the above facts.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The police have asked for the CCTV and on the basis I am not in the taxi they should not contact me again?

What will happen to my personal details as the Police have taken them?

Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
On the basis that it is not you in the taxi my view is that their interest in you will quickly wane. They may want to ask more about why you made the call but if they have already asked you about this I cannot see there is much basis for them to contact you again unless they were not happy with what you told them. If they do contat you again it is probably best just to be straightforward with them as it is better to be embarrassed than be caught in any kind of lie to the police - lying to the police can cause its own issues and they can take a lack of frankness to be evidence of some sort of complicity in offences though here I cannot see that there would be grounds for that. On the face of what you say you have done nothing wrong - it is not a crime to call a taxi for someone or let someone use your phone to call a taxi and so in my view it is better to just be straightforward if they do contact you again but as you suggest I suspect their interest in you following looking at the CCTV will wane. I do not consider you have anything unduly to worry yourself about based on what you say as you have done nothing wrong.I hope the above is helpful? Can I help you with anything else or has the above answered your questions satisfactorily? If you could drop me a quick message to let me know I'd be very grateful.
Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice