Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

In 1996 approx my neighbour and I had a hearing in Leeds (

In 1996 approx my neighbour and I had a hearing in Leeds ( chancery ) court , Gorman v Curtis in connection with a boundary dispute. Is it possible to obtain a transcript of the court ruling.
Peter Gorman
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

All cases heard in the county or higher courts are recorded. It may be possible but there is a danger if the case was not a reported case that the recording may have not been retained for this long. There is no specific retention period prescribed but according to information I have available it is understood anecdotally that recordings are not necessarily retained for more than 6 years at county court level and sometimes no more than 12 years at High Court level but there is no specific rule that provides that they are destroyed after a certain time so you may be able to obtain a copy this far on.

The procedure for obtaining a transcript is to appoint an authorised transcriber from the Tape Transcription Panel using the information on the court service website or from the Courts Recording & Transcription Unit. The rates charged will vary and should be agreed with the transcriber in advance.
Then you need to complete a Tape Transcription Request on Form EX107 and identify which parts of the hearing you want to be transcribed. For example you may wish to specify the judgment, witness evidence, legal arguments, post-judgment proceedings, or the whole case and this will impact the total fee charged by the transcriber. The completed form must be lodged at the court.

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetLeaflet.do?court_leaflets_id=1073

I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful