12826847

I have had to pay £3,000 i caused to a vehicle,

I have had to pay £3,000 for damage i caused to a vehicle, however I know this work can be done for much less approx £2,000. Can I ask the victim to provide me with a receipt to prove that he paid this amount and is not scamming me.
Have you put this through your insurance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am unable to do that as I actually keyed the vehicle.

Ok.
Have they agreed not to report this to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was reported to the police however when I met the police they said if i paid this money (which i have) they would ask the other person to drop the charge of criminal damage which he says he will!. I admitted to the damage within 24 hrs, however did not receive any correspondence until a letter was received from his solicitor. His estimates and quotes are very poor. I dont mind paying for the damage as long as he can prove that is how much it actually costs.

Yes, and that is reasonable. He is under a duty to mitigate his loss by seeking out a reasonably priced quote.
The only risk might be that he would revive the prosecution with the police if you don't pay at the level he demands. Victims are generally quite unreasonable in my experience.
From the point of view of the civil claim against you though he is under a duty to mitigate his loss so asking for sightings of quotes and evidence that he has mitigated is perfectly lawful.