Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I work part time , with a contract, in a small newsagents.

I work part time , with a contract, in a small newsagents. The shop is changing hands and is being taken over by a new lease holder. Do I have any rights as to maintaining my employment . thankyou
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Will the new owner continue to run as a newsagents?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
how long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

approx 17 monthes

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok your problem is your length of service. Legally where there is a change of ownership something called TUPE applies to protect you and allows you to continue working for the new employer. You should tell the old employer that you consider that TUPE will apply to your employment. However if you are dismissed and they do not transfer you you do not have adequate service to bring a claim for unfair dismissal as you need 2 years service to bring a claim in the Employment Tribunal.
This means that there is not much you can do if they do refuse to take you on.
You are entitled though to notice and any outstanding accrued holiday pay.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your advice

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
no problem, I would be grateful if you would now take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.
All the best for the future.