How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a question about small claims court action against our

Resolved Question:

I have a question about small claims court action against our energy supplier.
Long story short - we moved into a new build house a year ago and have made many communication attempts, all of which have failed. They haven't billed us, or even admitted that we're customers despite sending them all the information they needed repeatedly.
I am planning to claim for:
1) Distress and Inconvenience - We have no idea what this house costs to heat, and after a year of living here we are in constant fear of an unexpectedly huge bill arriving. This means that we turned our heating right down over winter and were uncomfortably cold. I am planning to claim £50 per month that they failed to set up our account and an additional £50 per month for November to February when it was particularly cold. That's currently about £750 total.
2) The sheer amount of time I had to spend preparing for phonecalls and writing letters/emails had an impact on my work. I had to take a few hours here and there every time to deal with this. It has cost me around £300 in lost wages and I can get a written statement from my employer confirming this.
Are those reasonable things to claim for, and do the amounts sound OK? I don't want the court to think I'm being unreasonable but at the same time it has genuinely had a very negative effect on us both financially and emotionally.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
1) Yes you can claim a nominal amount
2) Sadly you can't claim lost income because its a small claim. You can claim £19 per hour dealing with the claim.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's great, thank you for that and I will accept that answer :).

Do you think the amount that I'm claiming for distress/inconvenience (£50 per month, an extra £50 per winter month) is reasonable?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice