12826847

Claim dispute

If a bet was made on behalf of a number of people, on my online betting account, and I later had a falling out with these people and decided to close the betting account with funds still pending, am I liable to pay back whatever the winnings would have been out of my own pocket? Nothing was agreed in writing, but there may be up to 6 people who are willing to say they were present at the time. Some of the money was transferred into my bank directly, and the remainder was given in cash. I have attempted to make contact and explain that I had closed the account and even offered to pay the initial stake but after a few aggressive threats on the phone, I retracted my offer and haven't been in contact since. What is the likelihood of his case against me being successful?

I am sorry but I'm afraid that you are trying to visit your misfortunes onto them which is not lawful.
Come what may, there was an agreement that you would place a bet for him and implied in that you would give him the winnings. You have not.
I realise that you have been the victim of a misfortune but he is not liable for that.
Unless you actually agreed that you would only pay out if you were paid out you do not have a defence.
I'm very sorry.