12826847

I've just received a letter from the county court money claims

I've just received a letter from the county court money claims center with a claim for £450 (plus £50 court Fees) for money from a bet that was placed on my personal online betting account.
The winnings however only amount to £275 (of which, £50 is my own share of the winnings)
How would I go about arguing this point as I've never been given a county court claim form before and is it likely that if I can prove what the winnings were, that I can just pay back what was actually won and not this £450 figure that seems to have been plucked out of the air.
This will just be a small claims court claim. It is very easy to respond to those. You don't need to quote law. This court is designed for the lay person.
Effectively you need to part admit the claim on the basis that you accept liability but not in the sum claimed and explain why.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jo

Do you have a rough Idea how long I have to respond, and after a settlement is made, how how much time is given to pay the funds?

Usually 14 days from the date of the claim.
Usually that is made fairly clear on the claim forms.
Generally there will be a judgment that money is to be paid within 28 days of judgment but if you can deal with it by mediation then it might be possible to avoid that.