Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Does a bussiness landlord have the right to put a to let board

Customer Question

does a bussiness landlord have the right to put a to let board up out side my bussiness before the end of my lease
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Do you know if the lease provides that the exterior of the building is included in your demise with the lease or whether your demise only extends to the interior of the building with the landlord retaining responsibility for the outside of the building please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I'm responsible for the exterior
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. If you are responsible for the exterior of the premises under the lease then unless there is a specific provision in the lease that allows the landlord to erect a sign on the exterior of the premises that is demised to you (which would be an unusual term, though it may exist) he would need your permissio as tenant to erect a sign on the premises.The landlord is free to advertsie the premises using other media - e.g. online, print and in agents windows but not erect a sign without a right in the lease as above.A landlord can erect a sign on the exterior if it has not been demised to the tenant - often the landlord will maintain responsibility for the exterior demising just the interior of the premises to a tenant - particularly where the landlord rents multiple units in one building - but this is not the case here from what you say.If he has erected a sign without a right and without your permission you can ask that he takes it down and if he refuses or is slow to do so you can do so yourself taking care not to damage the sign. It could either be returned to the letting agent or stored somewhere.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
I hope the above is helpful? Can I help you with anything else or has the above answered your questions satisfactorily? If you could drop me a quick message to let me know I'd be very grateful.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Have I been able to help you with all your questions on the above?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though