Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

We are a fairly small internet marketing company, who as well

We are a fairly small internet marketing company, who as well as building websites, host them for some of our clients. We rent a server and charge our clients a certain amount to host on the server. Usually we invoice 3 months in advance, with standard 28 day terms.
One particular client asked us to invoice her monthly, which we agreed to, and she agreed to 7 day terms. We have been doing this for a few months, and the client is constantly late paying. Right now, they still have not paid their invoice for May hosting (14 days overdue).
We want to write to her informing her that if she does not pay within 7 days, we will switch her hosting off until she pays. Larger hosting organisations (eg godaddy, 1&1 ,etc) make reference to this a lot.
I cannot see any reason we could not do this, but would appreciate some clarification, and to understand if there is any particular wording that could be used.
Andy
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
There is no particular form of wording that you need. In fact the Courts recommend the use of clear, simple English.
You should notify the client that she is in breach of the agreement and that any outstanding sums should be paid forthwith.
You can also tell her that any future late payments will be treated as a breach of the terms and result in termination of the service.
Once you have put her on notice of your intention she cannot later argue that you failed to bring this to her attention.