Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I'm a self employed painter , I did a job on an hourly rate

I'm a self employed painter , I did a job on an hourly rate for as long as I could with other people who I paid myself ,now the shop owner is refusing to pay my wages for the time we were there . At no point were we asked to put anything "right" or go back to finish anything . What can I do ?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
How much are you owed? Did you send the person an invoice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm owed £1995 and yes I gave them an invoice but it didn't show the amount of hours ,but that can be proved .
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
OK, understood.
Although 30 days have passed you will still have to send a letter of claim being starting legal action.
You should write to the customer setting out in simple language what is owed and why and giving them 14 days to pay.
If payment is not made you can start a claim in the County Court via the Ministry of Justice portal - Money Claim Online.
The claim procedure will allow you to claim interest on the sum due.
But, as I said above, before you start proceedings you have to send a letter of claim and give notice of your intention to sue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it have to go to court? How long after do they have to pay ?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
No, it doesn't have to go to court at all.
How long they have to pay is entirely a matter for you. Are you happy to wait another month, 3 months or 6 months? It really is down to you to decide whether you will give them time to pay.
If you send them a reminder letter that may do the trick.
But if they are refusing to pay, without any good reason, and you want your money, then your only option is to sue them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will send them a re-done invoice with more information on it giving them 21 days to pay