UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My ex husband, who is British and Sudanese (dual nationality)

Customer Question

my ex husband, who is British and Sudanese (dual nationality) lives in sudan while my children and I live in the UK as british citizens. My ex wants to send money to buy a house for his children in my name and he doesnt know how to transfer the money without risk of confiscation. I want to know what the legal procedures we shoud follow to transfer the money so it will not be in risk of confiscation. He wants to transfer a sum of more than £300,000 from either Sudan or Dubai in order to buy the house and we want to know the legal process of it, because he says that the UK government doesn't allow money transfers from countries like Sudan or from Dubai.
I would like advice on this matter and know how to make sure that the money would arrive safely without any problems, and what documents I should obtain and assurance I should have from banks before having the money transferred.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
There is no restriction as far as I am aware on sending money from Dubai to the UK and I have known several people to have done it.
You should speak to your bank and inform them that you will be receiving the funds from your husband for a property purchase in the UK. They may ask for proof of the origin of the funds e.g. Your husbands income outside the UK, or savings etc.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply, I just found your answer. Thanks for your answer about Dubai, however, I noticed that your answer didn't cover the part I asked about Sudan, on whether or not sending substantial amounts of money from there will be ok due to the political relationships between Sudan and Europe and the US.

Kind Regards

You should also not have problems transferring funds from Sudan unless you are listed here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/330660/sudan__1_.pdf
Please leave feedback
All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Im sorry as I just saw this. However, I would like to thank you for your excellent help, I really appreciate it. I will be sure to recommend you to any family/ friends who might be in need of help.

Thank you again.