12826847

My 17 year old step daughter has recently decided to come and

My 17 year old step daughter has recently decided to come and live with me & her father, her mother is refusing access to her belongs including passport, what rights does she have?
are there any orders in place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no not at the moment

In that case she is perfectly free to live with you as she chooses.
If her mother withholds her property then there are a number of options.
The first is to get an officer to attend with you to prevent a breach of the peace while you collect these items.
The second is to seek an injunction from the county court forcing her to hand them over.
The third is not really the best. This can always be reported to the police as a theft as she is withholding property belonging to another but she will probably defend on the basis that she did intend to return them at some point and so there was no intention to permanently deprive her of them.