12826847

Can a person with severe anxiety and claustrophobia refuse

can a person with severe anxiety and claustrophobia refuse to be placed in a police cell at a station.i have very bad claustrophobia and cant be kept in tight spaces let alone being ALONE in there.can a medical note help police officers not put me in a cell but just interview me straight away
No. At least, any person can refuse to be placed in a cell and they can be charged with various obstructing offences as a result.
Nobody can lawfully refuse. Sometimes they do summons up the police doctor who can say that they should not be detained in a cell but the problem is twofold. Firstly, they almost never do. Secondly, the difficulty with a police station is that there just isn't really anywhere else for suspects to remain and cells are actually the safest place for them.
If a person is arrested then realistically they are going to be placed in a cell.
People who attend voluntarily are usually interviewed straight away though.