13262538

How do we get an 18 year old disabled boy back from social

Customer Question

how do we get an 18 year old disabled boy back from social services when they promised he would be back and now we have to pay bedroom tax?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we can wait and thank you very much. If you need to contact me please don't hesitate to give me a ring on ***********

Yours Sincerely

Andy Waite

Why was he removed from your care and what does he wish to do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Social services took us to court in Sheffield and said it was neglect but when I ask them about it they say, "it's not neglect we have our concerns!" then they say we still have parental responsibilities they will not say where they are. Sean says he wants to come home to us but social services won't let him even though he has gone 18 years of age last November 20th. A support worker from adult team had been telling that we will soon have another mouth to feed and us thinking it would be our son got a 2 bedroomed house which we have to pay spare bedroom tax for all these months!

How often do you see your son?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we see 6 out of 7 children seven times a year from twice a week.

How often do you see the 18 year old?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We see Sean 7 times a year now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we see him 7 times per year.

Does your son have an Advocate who represents him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No he has not and I know he has been placed on a "stay put" scheme with a 17 year old brother (who is also disabled) by disabled childrens team.

Who does he actually live with at present?
How do you know he wishes to return to live with you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He lives with carers and his 17 year old brother who is also disabled. He keeps telling us he wants to come home to live with us (both his biological parents).

When does he tell you this - I thought you only had contact 7 times a year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Only at contact does he say that to us!

When are you next due to see him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tomorrow, 29 May 2015 at 2pm.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We will be setting of to see our son about 1pm today 29 May 2015 (1hr 30 mins) from 2pm - 3:30pm.

HI
I hope it went well.
Did he repeat his wish to come home?
Who deals with his finances?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** really well, he ate all sandwiches we took for him and the drinks of juice. He repeated his wish to come back and live with us. I don't know who deals with his finances because he is a full time student in a special needs school.

Have you spoken to the Social Worker dealing with the case and if so what do they say?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have and they say he is not allowed to come back to us even when he tells them he wants to because they have their concerns but they do not tell us what these are. On Tuesday 2nd June one of his sisters have told us she has to go to hospital to give blood to test for fragile-x syndrome and social workers have not explained what that is.

HI
When were the Care Orders made?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2 years ago, October 2013, sorry but we only just got this last message this morning, 1 June 2015.

There is nothing that you can do to force Social Services to return your son to your car eI am afraid.
However if you believe that your son wishes to come home and that you are able to care for him then you need to ensure that he has an Independent Advocate to make his wishes heard
You can read more about this here
http://www.voiceability.org/what_we_do/statutory_advocacy/independent_mental_health_advocacy_imha
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much you have been very helpful with your advice but I still believe that social services have not been listening to any of our children! My rating to follow!

You are most welcome - I hope things go well