I am working on a new business venture with a man who several

Customer Question

I am working on a new business venture with a man who several years ago was convicted of cheating the Inland Revenue of several million pounds in taxes and then spent a few years in prison.
He is a real gentleman and was entirely up front about his past conviction. He is very skilful in creating new businesses and has set up numerous ventures with enormous success her and abroad.
I want to protect my self and my existing businesses so as to avoid problems but at the same time he is so good at what he does I do want to continue with him. Am I being naïve?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.What exactly are you planning to do? How similar is this to his previous failed business?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

His previous businesses did not "fail" as such. He had a large number of companies and through them defrauded the tax authorities in the UK of several million pounds for which he went to prison. He seems very anxious to avoid that experience again!This present start up is quite different to his previous business ventures. However he has had so many businesses that it is difficult to know if he has ever done anything remotely like this one. This business is an entirely new concept which I have created and which will act as a broker for health related services.

We have not started trading and at this stage do not have a bank account. I have decided that he will not be a signatory on the account or directly involved at the "front end" of the business and I will be using his expertise in setting up a website and working out the business structure in which he seems very skilled.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear ***** H,

The timer seems to be stuck on 13 seconds!

Has something gone wrong?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Alice H,

I am about to retire to bed for the night as its 22:57 here. I will look to for your answer in the morning.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
In answer to my original question Alice H asked for more information. I supplied more and the system said I would receive a reply. There was a timer showing how long I had to wait. This got stuck at 13 seconds. I waited a bit longer and no answer came. I sent two more very brief enquiries, the last of which said I was going to bed as it was coming up to 23:00. I said I would read the answer in the morning but have received nothing further. Has there been some form of system failure? Look forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Your expert will be along shortly today to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for coming in on this. Is there any further advice on the basis of the information supplied already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
It seems the person who offered to answer has gone off-line without answering. Please offer to anyone else on-line currently.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that there appears to be a breakdown in communications.
Your answer is how do you protect you are your business from a person that you want to take advice from but who has a criminal record for tax evasion.
The answer is that you you employ the person as a consultant with a specific written remit. You do not give the person a directorship or any position of authority within the business. You do not offer a partnership or shareholding. The person answers to you personally. He is paid as a consultant on a self employed basis. He has no access or authority to sign anything on behalf of the business. You run his business structure proposal past your lawyer and accountant to ensure that nothing in any scheme he presents is illegal.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. May I have your contact details or is that outside the terms of Just Answer?

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
The service agreement between experts and JustAnswer doesn't permit that, I'm afraid.