Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Landlord and Tenant Act 1985: Section 21 (Inserted by section

Landlord and Tenant Act 1985: Section 21 (Inserted by section 152 of the Commonhold & Leaseho9ld Reform Act 2002)
Right to an Accountant’s Certificate
9. In addition to the regular statement that must be provided under section 21 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, the landlord must also supply a certificate of a qualified accountant. This should state that in the accountant’s opinion, the statement of account deals fairly with the matters with which it is required to deal and is sufficiently supported by accounts, receipts and other documents which have been produced to them.
Is tis true as you previously answered that this was not required..
Ron
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will wait for answer...

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Sorry for the delay in reverting to you - I have just seen this and I see that it relates to a previous question you asked. Your last question asked if there was a requirement that service charge accounts supplied by the landlord are audited. The answer to this as discussed previously is that there is no such requirement unless the lease requires it.

However if you are seeking to have an accountant certify the accounts there is a mechanism whereby you can force this which we touched upon in our last discussion, namely requesting a summary of the accounts under s21 LTA. As mentioned previously you have a right under the above section to request a summary of accounts under this section. As part of the summary the landlord must supply an accountants certificate to confirm the summary is a fair summary of the accounts.

I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding in our previous discussion. I had understood you were asking whether the landlord must supply audited accounts to tenants to which the as above and before no unless the lease provides otherwise. However if you are asking whether there is any way you can force the landlord to provide an accountants certificate in relation to the accounts, then the answer is yes by using the s21 procedure discussed in our previous exchange.

I hope that clarifies the position.

Best wishes
Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice