UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a guy (Handyman) doing work whilst I am renovating

Customer Question

I have a guy (Handyman) doing work for me whilst I am renovating my house . I pay him £10.00 per hour he works about 16 to 24 hours (He has domestic commitments- young daughter )I pay him daily in cash He was recommended to me by the previous owner of my house whom he had done work for.He often supplies Labour and Materials as he has a trade account with the local builders merchant. He uses his trailer to take rubbish away and charges me extra. He uses some of my tools and some of his own. He has a "Waste Users Trade Licence "With the local Authority. WE "Fell" out on Thursday last week due to bad workmanship. He made certain comments which suggest that he will claim "Employee status" as he has worked for me on a regular basis.
Should I worry??
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

I would suggest that you use the employment status indicator tool to check what his status is: https://www.gov.uk/employment-status-indicator

The final decision would lie with the employment tribunal but from what you have said, you do not need to worry. I assume he has been working for you for less than 24 months and that this has been after 6 April 2012.

If he has worked for you for less than 24 months, he cannot bring an unfair dismissal claim even if he is deemed to be an employee.

Hope this helps