75100385

I am a tenant on a rented property lease. Recent my 18 year

I am a tenant on a rented property lease.
Recent my 18 year old son had to move in with me due to unforeseen circumstances.
I have made the landlord aware, however they have said that because I moved in the flat on my own and the lease was for me only, I may be breaching my lease under subletting?
I have asked the landlord to put my son on the lease but they have said it may not be possible since my son is not in full time employment.
What are my rights and can they terminate my lease because of this?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
I assume you are still living there please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am still living there.
My 18 year old son is my dependant.
His dad recently became ill and
As my son was living with him, my son had to come and live with me.
So my circumstances changed and my son is not on the tenancy agreement.
My landlord is not keen to put him on the leasehold as he is in full time education ie. Not working she (the landlord) says.
I have never had rent arrears and no problems with the landlord before.
My son is a quiet young man who doesn't even disturb the neighbours or
Anything not even to play loud music. He is very reserved and into his college work, and sport as he plans also to be a part time personal trainer.
So no probs with him not even to drink or to smoke and none of his friends he brings to the flat so I am not happy with what the landlord has said to me. Actually I am upset, but have only been polite to her so far.
On what basis is it said you are subletting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not subletting.
My son is a student and pays me nothing !
He is only staying with me temporarily, but I am not sure how long for and would like to put him on my lease in case I want to continue looking after him and for legal purposes and until he goes off to uni next year Sept. On this basis If I am still renting from that landlord.
He is my only dependent.
Then you don't need to worry. You are not in breach of your lease as you are not subletting. The Landlord can't evict you for subletting. You are not. They can't end your agreement because of this and to be honest it makes no difference whether your son is employed or not to be put on the lease - that is just the Landlord being difficult.
The Landlord can only ask you to leave if the tenancy is at the end of the fixed period and even then has to give you 2 months notice.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Alex this is very helpful; however am I obliged to put my son on the lease or not? Is this necessary ?

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.