Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Can a business withhold the recording or transcript of your

Customer Question

Can a business withhold the recording or transcript of your phone call (they gave it to a third party)
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I ask if this was an interaction you had with the business as a consumer please?
Have they given a reason for not providing a transcript?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This firm provide extra insurance for car repairs. they had made a mistake with my partners name on the paperwork. While on he asked about a renewal price for next year. He thought they quoted £109 though they now say £209. This caused a problem with the garage we bought the car off as they charged £208 for this year and thought he was checking up on them. The insurance firm gave them the recording of my partners recording but refused him access.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks. The Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000 allows the recording of customer conversations providing the customer is made aware that the call is being recorded. If a business decides to record conversations between it and its customers, this is treated as the collecting of personal data, which is governed by the Data Protection Act under which the business is required to comply with the data protection principles (Schedule 1, DPA).The business is required to make available a copy of the recording it has of the call to the customer to which it relates. It may chose whether to supply this as a transcript or as an electronic recording, providing it is in a form which is intelligible to you. It may charge a fee of up to £10 for providing you with a copy.You can make a request by submitting a subject acccess request setting out the information you require reminding them that failure to comply can result in prosecution and a fine. If they continue to refuse, you can make a report to the ICO which can order disclosure and impose a fine.https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you have stock letter we could amend and use to make this request?

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Yes certainly. You may wish to use the precedent recommended by the ICO:https://ico.org.uk/media/for-the-public/documents/1253/how_to_make_a_request.docI hope the above is helpful? Can I help you with anything else or has the above answered your questions satisfactorily? If you could drop me a quick message to let me know I'd be very grateful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you...it was very helpful.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
A pleasure. I am glad the above was helpful