Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I was contacted by Barings Solicitors regarding a

I was contacted by Barings Solicitors regarding a non-fault motor accident I had earlier this year. I gave all my details not being aware of I am being pulled in an agreement I don't want. They sent me an electronic copy of a Conditional Fee Agreement to sign, which I haven't. If I do not want to proceed can I just simply ignore it? If I do not sign it, I do not have to cancel anything. Is that correct? Based on a telephone call I did not agree on anything legally?
Nandor
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I ask if you have contracted with anyone else to pursue your claim or intend to do so please?
From what you say you have not yet signed any documentation at all received from the solicitors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your answer.

No they called me, I answered their questions and they sent me the electronic form to sign. I have not signed anything...

Nandor

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the above. The Solicitors code of conduct requires that a solicitor sends any prospective client a client care letter which must include prescribed information such as who who will act for you, the charges structure and so on. The client must sign and return this in order for the solicitor to formally act for the client. If the solicitor does not hold a signed client care letter he will be in breach of the solicitors code of conduct and will not be able to charge the client monies for his work.It is not possible to verbally agree to a client retainer. The retainer must be agreed in writing. Accordingly if you have not signed and returned a copy of the client care letter you will not be a client of the firm and are not committed to their service.Accordingly you may consider either ignoring them or dropping them a brief email to advise that you are not going ahead with the instruction just so they do not pester you to return the signed letter of engagement.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
I hope the above is helpful? Can I help you with anything else or has the above answered your questions satisfactorily? If you could drop me a quick message to let me know I'd be very grateful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So the bot***** *****ne is, that if I have not sent anything back in either email or by post I am not committed to their services no matter what personal information I gave them on the phone? Even if they asked me whether I want to proceed?

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
That is correct. A solicitor cannot satisfy its obligations under the solicitors conduct code based on a verbal conversation. It must have a signed letter of instruction from you to act for you.Have I been able to help you with all your questions on the above?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, thank you. Very helpful.

Nandor

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
I am glad it was of assistance. Best wishes