Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I am anxious to get the purchase of my flat to completion ,,..but

Customer Question

I am anxious to get the purchase of my flat to completion ,,..but I am having a problem with the sellers solicitor
he is saying that £250 pound had been paid for a management pack on May 6 th but
no such paymentt has been received.'the whole process they have been dragging their heels
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I clarify that you have contacted the landlord or managing agent who has advised that they are still waiting for payment and until payment is received they will not issue the replies to landlord enquiries - e.g. is ground rent paid up to date etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my son has been dealing with the purchase of my flat ,as I'm disabled and have Parkinson'.
the flat I am buying is a Saxon Weald assisted living ,with extra care,the whole thing has been a chapter of events 1flat I originallysoght to purchase the couple that had been living there ,wife had died ,so there was a wait for power of attorney followed by Probate,then the day I was due to sign contracts the gentleman diedd,which meant a delay due to probate again.so I was offered another flat"
This time my solicitor was dealing with another solicitor,'and this time the process has been very slow,which has cost me a lot of money as Ive been in a nursing home ,costing me £4000per month,also my home is in storage,also costing more money,
I expected to be here a week or 2 ,that was then end of FEb/March .,so as you can imagine I am getting really frustrated,and now they are causing further delay over the £250.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for the above. That is truly a catalogue of bad luck and frustration. Am I right in my above assumption that the £250 relates to the landlords fee for providing information about the lease please which the sellers solicitor says has been paid and the landlord or his agent says hasn't?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the sellers solicitor says they have paid to Saxon Weald solicitors and they say they've not received it Iî think I'll wait until Friday perhaps ,and see if they sort it out,if nessesary I'll speak toyouagaithanks for lending e your ear
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
thank you for the above. when a buyer purchases a leasehold flat, the buyers solicitor will contact the sellers solicitor in order to obtain a range of information from the landlord such as has ground rent been paid, is service charge up to date, are there any major works due on the building and a range of other questions. The landlord invariably makes a charge for providing the information and I suspect this is the fee that is being requested.

Unfortunately, a buyer has a limited range of options when faced with a slow and uncooperative seller. You could suggest to the seller that due to the delay, you are now looking at other properties and unless the sale increases in speed significantly, you may have to withdraw in favour of other properties. It doesn't have to be true but it may improve the speed and cooperation of the seller if he believes that he may lose you as a buyer if he does not do so. Ideally, you would stay clear of making any ultimatums if you do not intend to follow through on them but that leaves a lot of open ground to make suggestions that you may be losing interest which can be effective in increasing the speed of a sale.

I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Jodhua,problem now resolved