12826847

I have a small business. We have been contacted by a company

Customer Question

I have a small business. We have been contacted by a company advising we have infringed copyright of an image of theirs on a third party website on which we advertise. They have made demands for increasing amounts of money for penalty fee and damages which they say is based on an average cost of a license plus the cost to chase the infringement. They are asking for £396 - the cost of the licence for the image in question is £75.00. I have asked them to break the costs down and they have not done this. I am keen to resolve the issue and would appreciate advice.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know how you came by the image?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We were contacted by a third party with whom we advertise - they advised that they have been contacted by a company called LC Services Inc which is an image library company. I am not disputing that we inadvertently used an image copied from their website (though I have not admitted this to them and our company name is ***** ***** with the image - LC Services have been given our contact details by the third party site who they initially contacted).

Where are LC Services Inc based?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Their address is

***** London, NW1 0AG
Are you sure? They can't be Inc if they are in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Their email comes through as LC Services Inc - but at the bottom of their email the details are:

License Compliance Services, 4corners images

http://www.4cornersimages.com/contact/

P: 0800(###) ###-####I E: *****@******.***

***** London, NW1 0AG
Ok. Have they provided evidence they own the image?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, they have. They advise that the cost of using the image is £150 but I have emailed them under a different name and they have advised that the cost of using the exact same image is £75 per year. I have this in writing from them, relating to the image in question. The £396 they are requesting we pay they advise relates to the average cost of a license plus the cost to chase the infringement. I have repeatedly asked them to break down this cost and they haven't done so - the initial demand was for £326.

Please can you let me know an update?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, they have provided evidence they own the image.