How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I have been in the UK since June 2002. I came in as

Resolved Question:

I have been in the UK since June 2002. I came in as a student. After my studies, I spent 2 years on a PSW (Post study work) visa. Thereafter, I was employed under Tier 2 General sponsored by my current employer. I have completed 3 years under Tier 2 and I'm currently serving another 3 years, of which I have completed 1 year and 4 months.
What are my options for permanent settlement?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Have you been here legally since 2002?
Have you always extended your visas in time without overstaying?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I've been here legally since 2002, and all visas extensions/renewals were on time with no overstay.
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
In this case you have two options:
1. Your first option is to apply for settlement on the basis of 10 year-long residency in the UK. For this would would need to provide evidence that you have been residing in the UK for the last 10 years. The form required for applying is form SET LR, both the form and guidance can be found at the following link:
2. Your second option is to wait until you have completed the 5 years on a Tier 2 visa and apply for ILR on this basis the form for this would be form SET O, please see following link:
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the two options. I now need your opinion.
I lived a large part of the 10 years with family member and then friends. Not a lot was in my name, i.e; no council tax bill, no lease agreement and not all utility bills. The only things in my name were; house phone bill, electricity, my own mobile, my credit cards and of course my bank accounts. So in terms of proving what I've been doing in the last 10 years, are these sufficient, or do I need more.
As a result, which of the two options do you recommend I apply under, as a more easier option. Because I don't want to spend all that money applying only to be told no by home office or be subjected to a barrage of endless supply of docs and info I may not have.
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
In my opinion I believe you should apply for the 10 year long residency visa, this is because firstly it is a visa you qualify for now and do not need to wait any longer to apply and secondly with the government you do not want to be in a position where they change the laws again and make it even harder for you to obtain ILR.
In respect of the documents, what you have mentioned are sufficient, in the letter just explain where there is a lack of tenancy agreement etc but provided you have documentation confirming your residency in the UK ie letters etc in your name these would be sufficient. You may also wish to obtain letters from friends and family members who provided you with accommodation confirming you were residing with them from x period to x period and ensure they attach their passport page to confirm they have signed the letter.
I hope this answers your question, if so please provide a rating so I can get credited for my time.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you