75100385

How do I put a figurative cost to allow someone to use my Copyright

How do I put a figurative cost to allow someone to use my Copyright protected idea ?
I will be having meetings over the next few months with several companies & given the type of concept, they could all want to use the Copyright to create their personalised versions. Which is fine, they can all have a license to use my idea if they wish, but if it comes to this point, I don't know what I should ask for from each company to use the Copyright - £1000, £10,000, £50,000 ………………. I have no idea how to rate it as such. Any pointers for me ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Will they be selling a product or service?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is more of a product, it is along the creative side of things & it can be used either as a promotional tool if they wish to create awareness of their own products, or they could sell it if they choose to, or they could do both, sell some of the product units & use other of the units as promotional handouts.

Ok. Its a commercial decision for you. If you are going to licence it then you could do well by saying you wanting a cost per product. For example £25.
But really its a commercial decision for you. There is no right or wrong way of calculating it. Its a matter of negotiation.
You dont want to to sell yourself short, so I would suggest a cost per unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** thought of it per unit. Could you clarify the following :

Where you say about wanting a cost per product i.e. £25, then would it be prudent to assume that the remuneration asking price would be relative to how much it would cost them to produce it & sell it for - say, production cost £10, sell price £15, so would it be appropriate for me to negotiate anything between £10 & £15 per unit ? Would asking for more be inappropriate ……… I wouldn't want to attend a meeting seeming to be somewhat "business" ignorant !

Yes you could have a % for example. But it may be difficult in terms of keeping track of it.
But yes you can have the price linked.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok yes, that's fine thanks, ***** ***** me a start point to work from.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.