13262538

I divorced my first wife 12 years go, she now wants to make

I divorced my first wife 12 years go, she now wants to make claims on my military and state pensions. My military pension becomes payable in Dec 2015 and state pension is not payable for another 6 years. Could you please advise me on this
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Were any financial orders made at the time of the divorce?
Has she remarried at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Clare

Thank you for your response. No there were no financial orders made at the time of divorce, and no she has not remarried.

Thank you Rob

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What is her current financial position (roughly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Clare

As far as I am aware, she has no major financial problems, council rented property and works, albeit only 3 days a week

Rob

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How long were you living together and how long were you in the forces?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was in the forces for 18 years (1971-1989) we married in July 1975, and the divorce was made final and absolute on the 4th June 2003

thank you

Rob

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Ok
What assets did you have at the time of separation and how were they divided?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Clare

Most household effects were taken by my ex wife or passed to family and friends.

We had 2 cars, my ex wife took hers which was fully paid for, mine was still on an HP agreement which of course I paid off.

We had a property which was sold, any profits remaining was amicably spill between us both, my ex wife was given a greater percentage because of a terminal grant which I am due to receive from the Army in December 2015.

I hope this is of help,

Thank you for your assistance

Rob

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Very roughly what was the percentage division of the capital?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A very rough percentage split of the capital from the house sale was 17% and 26% in her favour.

Rob

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure that I understand that?
Just to check - were there any children?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Clare

1. Following the repayment of the outstanding mortgage etc, approximately £53k was split between myself and my ex wife, of which my ex wife took about £34k and I had about £19k.

2. There were 2 children in the marriage, both were over age

Rob

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
As a starting point I can tell you that your old age pension is safe!
Since there has been no final financial order made within the divorce proceedings and she has not remarried your ex can still make a financial claim against you.
On that basis she could indeed try and make a claim against your military pension.
It is unlikely that a pension sharing order will be made (transferring part of your pension pot into her name) because of the lengthy delay in the application.
However the court COULD Order that you make a lump sum payment - although the fact that you have already made an extra payment to reflect the monies you will receive this year.
Of course this presumes that your ex actually makes an applictaion - which may or may not be likely - you know her better than I!
If she does decide to go forward the starting point is to use Family Mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
to try and resolve matters
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.