13262538

I am about to get married and would like some advice

Customer Question

I am about to get married and would like some advice about my financial situation.
I own my own flat and have about £80,000 in savings. I am 60 and my husband to be is 76. I am looking ahead to later in life and the possibility of one or both of us needing nursing care.
Will my husband assume joint ownership of my property on our marriage? And would I have to use my savings to provide for any residential care we might need or would this be provided for us and then retrieved from the sale of the flat on the death of the second of us to pass away?
I would be glad of any advice you can give me.
Penny Valentine
Are you intending to keep all your assets separate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I think so - unless you advise otherwise

Penny

Your husband does not have an automatic claim on your assets the moment he marries you.
However the longer you are together the more likely it is that he would have a claim in the event of a divorce or your death
Provided you keep your assets entirely separate then you will not be in anyway responsible for the costs of your husband's care, only for your own.
If you are the one who has to go into care then your husband will be able to remain in your home so long as he is wishes to do so
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details