Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have had a letter from Lowell Portfolio1 saying freemans

i have had a letter from Lowell Portfolio1 saying freemans have sold my account with freemans outstanding dept to them on the 31/03/2015 and they now own the account the depy is £396.50 i have never had anything or anything to do with freemans .com and dont purchase on line .
Im 65 years of age and this is worrying me ,my husband says to egnor itas its a scam .
Can you please advise me on what i can do or help me please as im so worried
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
I would recommend you send them a letter as follows:
- Deny that you ever owe this debt;
- Say they have no evidence this debt was incurred by you;
- Say to them it is a Criminal Offence under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 to unlawfully harass some one for a debt they do not owe;
- Say if they continue to chase you for the debt you reserve the right the right to either:
(i) report the matter to the police; and/or
(ii) Go to trading standards - www.tradingstandards.uk/
- Say that you will also have to consider whether you will need to incur the cost of professional advice and will seek to recover such cost from them directly.
(It is up to you whether you want to say this or not but I would also put them on notice that you are 65 years and they are now knowingly and willful causing stress and anxiety to a vulnerable person and abusing their position as regulated debt collector)
If they still pursue you then I would report them to Trading Standards.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ