12826847

BT are chasing me bill which relates to an account that

Customer Question

BT are chasing me for a bill which relates to an account that doesn't exist. I've been trying to resolve this since October but they won't reply to my letters or complaints. I've been through the ombudsman but they closed the case after BT told them it had been resolved. I now have debt collectors after me.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where do I go from here? The phone bill belongs to a charity to which I am a trustee. October we received a bill with other details on it which did not relate to us. I was asked to send the bill back with a covering letter. Shortly after we received another incorrect bill with a different account number on it. We now have two account numbers for the same phone numbers and different charges let alone bills with other phone numbers on them and cancelation fees for them cutting us off. I get no answers from them about this mess. Its costing the organisation money through lost business and I'm being threatened of having an attachment put on my wages to pay the debt when all I have asked for is a correct bill. So it can be paid.

To achieve what?
Obviously they cannot be prevented from writing occasionally and that doesn't bind you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So what do I do next to get it resolved

Well, it depends what you want to achieve.
The simple truth is that there are no magic warms that will cause them to accept that you owe them nothing and to update their records and behave accordingly. The law cannot force and inefficient company to behave efficiently.
The question is what action can they take against you. In the absence of CCJ all they can do is get debt collectors to write to you and phoning you occasionally. They cannot force you to make payment unless they are going to sue you and if they do so you then you would have the opportunity to defend their claim.
Receiving the correspondence from debt collectors does not give you an action in law. Arguably it amounts to harassment but I think that is very arguable and anyway there is no way of quantifying the loss that arises from it.
the important point is that they cannot force you to pay without suing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So basically, unless they imply a CCJ upon me I leave it at that and just keep collecting the letters and then defend my case in court.

Yes, debt collection letters have no legal status at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/