13262538

I have been paying an agreed amount of child support

Customer Question

I have been paying an agreed amount of child support for my son and now he is 18 he wants too finish collage, have a year off to get a job and then go too university. Do I still have too pay his mother each month.
Do you pay under a court order, via the CSA or voluntarily?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pay a set amount that my ex wife requested at the time we divorced.
Thank you for that - but just to check - was the agreement ever written up as an Order and sealed by the court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it wasn't. She said to me that she wasn't going too claim benefits for my kids so she just wanted what she would've got if she did. I have paid her each month by cheque the amount that she wanted. This was just an agreement between the two of us.
In that case no you do not have to make any further payment to your ex once your son leaves college.
When he goes to University you can negotiate with him as to what support, if any, you will give him.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks. That's a great help to me. One further question. I have been very lucky in respect to the amount that I have been paying. I know that if this was too have gone through the CSA I would've had too have payed more. If I do stop payments can my ex wife threaten too take me too CSA too get more money from me. Ie. If I only payed her £200 per month and if it was through the CSA it was £400. Could she get the difference from me.
Provided he has finished Secondary education then it is no longer possible for your ex to approach the CMS (new CSA) and even if he was still in secondary education any claim she makes can NOT be backdated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. One more question. I will still be paying for my daughter as she is 17 and still in college can she go too CSA and get more money for her.
Yes your ex can apply to the CMS in respect of the younger child - you will need to pay 12% of your gross income with a deduction if she spends more than 52 nights a year with you