Recently a council dog warden took my name and address

Customer Question

Recently a council dog warden took my name and address he said my dog was off the lead and he had filmed it on his body cam. I didn't argue and gave my detail to him 3 times as I didn't have proof of identity on me I told I am not stopping any longer as I am late for work.
I received no copy of paperwork off him. (possibly because I was in a rush)
But today a council letter arrived with the wrong surname name on it.
I would have thought they would have used the cam recording for the correct details.
Now it makes me wonder if body cam was working.
Not sure what to do.... Send letter back no one of this name at this address.... What can I do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What does the letter say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not opened it because wrong name on it.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There isn't much merit in that argument I'm afraid.
Whether the body cam was working or not, they are likely to be able to identify you and what the complaint is the warden himself can give evidence on that point.
Returning the letter unopened would not really even delay proceedings substantially. Whichever way you look at this, you know the letter is for you I'm afraid.
There may be no merit to the complaint anyway. Having dogs offlead is not an offence per se save for limited situations but ignoring the correspondence is not a good idea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So sending letter saying return to sender no one of this name lives here.

Obviously hoping they would not bother anymore.

Would I be any worse off by doing that, even if they received my correct surname at a later date.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you probably would. They will only form the view that you are being deliberately obstructive and adopt a similar approach.
Sometimes it is worth being obstructive as there is no realistic point in negotiating but not here.